Some, but not all, county fairs reopening this season
TRENTON — Not all county fairs will be going on at their regularly scheduled times this summer, but many will be held around the Garden State.
For example, in Burlington County, a mostly rural county heavy on farms and farming, organizers did not know what levels of safety protocols might still be required, so they erred on the side of caution and canceled their annual gathering earlier in the spring.
On the bright side, fewer county fairs will allow farm enthusiasts and backyard fruit and vegetable and livestock growers the chance to check out neighboring county fairs or parts of the state they’ve never been to before.
“Our agricultural fairs are returning in full fashion,” New Jersey Dept. of Agriculture Secretary Douglas Fisher said. “Here is where we showcase all sectors of agriculture in New Jersey and the accomplishments of so many talented groups.
“Much joy comes to most everyone who attends and thousands of people are looking forward to these fabulous time-honored events.”
Here’s a short list of what agricultural fairs are being held, and where and when:
• Atlantic County Fair, Aug. 5-6, David C. Wood 4-H Center & Fairgrounds, 3210 Rt. 50, Mays Landing. Hours: Friday, Aug 6, 2-10 p.m., Saturday, Aug 7,11 a.m. to 10 p.m.
• Bergen County Fair, Sept 18-19. No information on address or times.
• Camden County Fair, No charge, Friday 4-10 p.m., Saturday, 11 a.m. to 9 p.m., 508 Lakeland Road, Blackwood.
• L.E.A.D. Fest State Fair, July 1-11, Mercer County Park, 1638 Old Trenton Road, West Windsor Township. Hours: 5- 11 p.m. July 1 to July 11.
• Hunterdon County Fair, Aug. 25-29, 1207 Route 179 Lambertville, 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Aug.25 – 28, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Aug. 29.
• Mercer County Fair, July 31 to Aug. 1, Howell Living History Farm, 70 Woodens Ln, Lambertville. Hours: 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday July 31 and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 1.
• Middlesex County Fair, Aug. 2-8, 655 Cranbury Rd, East Brunswick, Hours: TBD
• Monmouth County Fair, July 21-25, East Freehold Showgrounds, 1500 Kozloski Rd, Freehold. Hours: Noon to 7 p.m. each day, except 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. on July 25.
• Open Space Pace: Dates and times to be determined. Freehold Raceway, 3499 U.S. 9, Freehold.
• Salem County Fair, Aug. 3-6, 735 Harding Hwy, Woodstown. Hours to be announced.
• Sussex County Farm and Horse Show/New Jersey State Fair Aug. 7-14, 37 Plains Road Augusta. Hours: 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. each day.
• Warren County Fair, July 31 to Aug. 7, 1350 Strykers Road, Phillipsburg. Hours: Noon to 10 p.m. each day.
“County farm fairs are a popular community tradition for rural counties,” said Peter Furey, executive director of New Jersey Farm Bureau, one of the oldest advocacy and lobbying organizations in the state.
“It’s an inexpensive, family-oriented event that provides links to New Jersey’s farming heritage. There should be even greater attendance this summer as people emerge from the pandemic experience. We look forward to their success.”